[Asterisk-Users] Newbie

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sat Jan 29 17:23:03 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new here. I am also somewhat new to telephony and IT,
> however, I am technically adept.

That's probably the most important thing with Asterisk.

> I work for a small but growing non-profit in Colorado and I
> wear many hats. Because I am the only one who has a clue
> about computers, I am the default IT person.
>
> Our communications needs are growing and we are checking out
> phone system -- particularly Asterisk. As I understand it,
> for a relatively low initial hardware investment (PC, TDM4
> card, phones), I can get into this VoIP system, use it with
> our current computer network and will have the power and
> flexibility of a much more expensive system.

You've got it.

> My concern is that I know nothing about Linux or Asterisk. I
> can troubleshoot most any problem on Mac or Windows (even
> networking where I have little experience) but I fear I will
> be over my head with this and it will consume all my time.

It will require you to learn a thing or two, no doubt about it. Once you
get it running, it should not require endless tweaking or babysitting
(although you may fall in love and become addicted to tweaking your
Asterisk box :-)

> I understand there will be a time commitment (more at first
> and less for
> maintenance) but as my primary duties are elsewhere, I cannot
> afford to put in too much time on this project.

That's going to be a tough one to evaluate. You could end up with more
work than you expect (especially if your skills do not grow in sync with
your schedule). Having said that, Linux and Asterisk are both labours of
love, so they are not cruelly complex - they actually tend to make a lot
of sense, once you understand the methodology. There's no wierd math or
arcane syntax here - everything is in plain English for the most part.

> Finally, my questions:
>
> 1) How much time should I expect to become familiar with
> Linux considering I am only interested in it at this point
> for the Asterisk installation (however, I have been looking
> for an excuse to learn it)?

If you are technically adept (i.e. familiar with Windows, PC hardware,
Networking) you can get Linux going without too much trouble. Linux is
really quite simple, it's just that it does so many things there's a lot
to learn - this can sometimes make it seem complex.

To learn Linux properly you will want to learn it as an Administrator,
not a User. Many books will attempt to mislead you into believeing that
Linux is actually the GUI desktop. This is guarantted to confuse you. I
first learned about Linux by reading O'Reilly's "Running Linux" (still
in print ten years later). Better yet, look on Amazon and find out what
Linux Administration book is most popular with newbies. Read the reviews
and you'll get a feel for what makes sense to you.

Warning: stay away from "too friendly" Linux books. Most of them only
teach you about the GUI. This is no good. If the book has too many
pictures of the desktop, avoid it like the plague. You need to learn
Linux as an Administrator, not a User. This is crucial.

> 2) How much time should I expect it to take for me to
> configure Asterisk for a basic installation? Once we have
> dial-tone and can make/receive calls, I will add/configure
> features, voice mail, etc.

That is a tough question to answer, as it's impossible to evaluate your
existing skills, not to mention your ability to aquire more.

> 3) I know what specs they say to run Asterisk, but
> realistically, what minimum specs would you recommend for the PC?

Grab a current generation P4, install it on a current generation MoBo
(Intel chipset, or possibly NForce), and give it a gig of RAM. That'll
serve ten or twenty users quite easily, even if you want to do some
fancy processing (conference calls and such).

Keep in mind that there are certain best practices with respect to
telecomunication equipment you should bear in mind:
- A power-conditioned UPS will provide stable, clean power, and provide
some run time during black outs and brown outs.
- Spending a lot of money on a high-end server may not be required, but
do not buy junk either. Proven, brand name parts for all your components
is highly recommended.
- Build a proper home for your system. Treat it like the
mission-critical server it is.
- Devise a back up strategy that ensures that you can restore all your
critical data. This can be fairly simple if you have tolerance for some
downtime.

> 4) How much should I expect to pay initially for the basic
> hardware (PC, card, phones, book)? Any recommendations for providers?

Buy the PC from a trusted local source.

> Our current phone company is offering us a full, fractional
> T1 with four lines for $368/mo and a $250 install with a
> three-year contract. Does this sound like a good deal?
>
> I'm hoping I can get the initial installation and
> configuration done in 30-40 hours over two weekends and a few
> evenings. Does this sound reasonable?

It is certainly not unrealistic, if you can learn the skills you need
fast enough. Still, don't make huge commitments until you've had a
chance to evaluate your skills. Grab a Linux book and try to get it
working on an old PC. That'll give you a good sense of what's going to
be involved.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of Asterisk.