Subject: [Asterisk-Users] RE: Q: Can I over-ride the value of caller ID

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Sat Jan 29 15:42:11 MST 2005

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:

> That's really up to your carrier.  Many carriers to not allow customers
> to set the Caller*ID number.  I don't know of ANY that let you set the
> Caller*ID name.

Well, pretty much all of them will let you send it over a PRI... it's
just another facility message that their switch may choose to ignore or
not. Even if it's not ignored, though, sending it won't really do you
any good, as the end switch for the call (even if it's the same switch)
will do a CNAM lookup for the CLID anyway, and throw away any name you
may have supplied.

However, if you are using VOIP carriers, this may not necessarily be the
case; if the carrier terminates the call via VOIP as well (so that there
are no TDM (ISDN) links in the call path), the CNAM may very well be
carried along and delivered to the recipient.