[Asterisk-Users] PRI for Data and Voice

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Jan 29 10:10:30 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 11:45 -0500, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> David Norton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently I only have 1 PRI which I am using for dial-in customers.
> > The line is connected to a Portmaster3. I have never used more than
> > 10 concurrent channels. The calls can be both analog or ISDN. It
> > would be a waste to order another PRI for my Asterisk box. Is there
> > any way of splitting a PRI into 2 PRI’s of 15 channels each, or
> > plugging the PRI into the * box and it send the data calls to the
> > portmaster, or handles them itself?
> >
> > Any advice would be much appreciated
>
> I betcha Sangoma has something that'd do this for you. They've been
> supporting T1 data on Linux for years, and they're recently added zapata
> to their list of open-source drivers.
>
> Give them a shout, they love this kind of stuff.

Of course when you go to using the Sangoma cards with asterisk, it
appears you lose any extra functionality Sangoma built into the card.
That isn't a bad thing, but it negates any benefit of longevity.

As for the original posters question. The TE cards from Digium can take
care of your ISDN dial ups by itself. Asterisk can't take care of your
analog dialups yet.

The first thing to know is that you are not splitting the PRI, you are
routing calls. Until you get the setup messages, you don't know what is
what. Then when you get it, the call could be on any of the B channels.
But once you get it, you can determine by the phone number that was
dialed how to route the call. You can assign a DID for your dialups and
route it all to your portmaster through a separate span or assign
different numbers for ISDN and analog dialups so only the modem users go
to the portmaster while your ISDN users are handled on the asterisk
machine. All others are voice and dealt with from inside asterisk.