[Asterisk-Users] * acting as IP-Phone?

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Sat Jan 29 00:31:48 MST 2005

Oliver,

If I understand your question correctly, you would like to set up asterisk so that it behaves like
an IP phone and acts as a proxy server for you grandstream bt-100 telephone at the same time.

As far as I know, asterisk's very nature is to be like an IP phone - it can register with other VOIP
servers just like any IP phone. At the same time it can act as a VOIP server and other IP phones can
register with it.

I don't know about your specific setup, but it sounds as if you would like to connect your asterisk
machine to the internet and your grandstream phone to the asterisk machine (I use over
simplification) and you would like your asterisk machine to act as some sort of bridge between your
phone and a voip server out on the internet.
Suppose that your entire setup only talks SIP. In that case you would need to set up the asterisk
machine as SIP server for your IP telephone (so that your grandstream telephone can register with
it) and as SIP client for the internet provider. The relevant configuration file would be
/etc/sip.conf.
Suppose you want your asterisk system to speak SIP to your Grandstream telephone and IAX to the voip
provider on the internet. You would then need to set up the asterisk machine as SIP server for your
IP telephone (so that your grandstream telephone can register with it) and as IAX client for the
internet provider. The relevant configuration files would be  /etc/asterisk/sip.conf  and
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf
In both cases you can specify any user credentials you would like, which means your Grandstream
phone can have its own identity (user name and password) and your asterisk server/client can have a
different identity. The sky is the limit. You would also have to set up extensions in the dialplan
(/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf) so that when you dial the other party (or they call you) the
asterisk server knows what to do.

Sorry if I have oversimplified the issue or misunderstood the question. For future queries on the
mailing list it might be good if you specify your particular network setup and requirements in a
little bit more detail.
For example, a good way to ask could be: I would like to connect my asterisk machine to a voip
service provider via an adsl connection and my grandstream telephone to the asterisk machine. At the
moment I am using my grandstream phone to talk to others. Can I set up the asterisk machine as a
proxy server so that it looks to the outside world as if I am using my grandstream phone only? How
do I set it up? Can I specify different user names/passwords for my grandstream phone and the
asterisk machine? Where do I find more information on that?

In other words, a good general format for a question would be:
* My setup is x    (the more specific the better)
* I want to do y   (again, the more specific the better)
* What do I have to do or where do I find info on that?
and don't forget "Thank you for your consideration" at the end - politeness is important. And don't
get angry if you didn't get an (immediate) response and flame the list for that.
Another very good tool is http://www.google.com  I just tried the query "asterisk ip phone" and
"asterisk identify as ip-phone". Try it! It is always good if you can truthfully indicate that you
have researched on that question yourself, but did not find information. We all are only learners.

For all information on asterisk (incl. setup questions), see
     http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

For extensive documentation on asterisk you can also have a look on
     http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=8
resp.
     http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=3

For extensive documentation on the asterisk configuration files, see
     http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+files

I hope this helps.

Peter
----