[Asterisk-Users] PPP over T100P: Using a subset of channels does not always work correctly.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Jan 28 15:36:56 MST 2005

Hello!

I am trying to configure my PPP setup such that it only uses the first 4
channels on each T1.  I see no obvious errors in /var/log/messages or
when running the ztcfg, but I am able to still pass a full T1's worth of
data over the PPP links.  I would expect to only be able to send about 300kbps
in this configuration.  I am running the PPP link back-to-back on the
same machine, by the way.

Do I have to reload the kernel drivers to change the channel assignments,
or can I just re-run ztcfg?  (Currently, I am just editing the zaptel.conf
file and then re-running ztcfg).

I noticed later that if I added a second clear=5-24 and clear=29-48
section, and just ignored them, then it seems to work correctly.  I believe
there might be a bug that causes the system to not constrain itself to the
first 4 channels if the rest of the channels are not configured at all.

I am using a digium cvs snapshot from about 3 weeks ago.

My zaptel.conf (that exhibits the problem) looks like:

span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=2,2,0,esf,b8zs
clear = 1,2,3,4
clear = 25,26,27,28

ztcfg -vvv output:

Zaptel Configuration
======================

SPAN 1: ESF/B8ZS Build-out: 0 db (CSU)/0-133 feet (DSX-1)
SPAN 2: ESF/B8ZS Build-out: 0 db (CSU)/0-133 feet (DSX-1)

Channel map:

Channel 01: Clear channel (Default) (Slaves: 01 02 03 04)
Channel 25: Clear channel (Default) (Slaves: 25 26 27 28)

8 channels configured.

Thanks,
Ben

--