[Asterisk-Users] Where can I find good doc on AGI?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 28 13:05:07 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:51 -0500, Robert Augustyn wrote:
> Thanks,
> I have seen that but this is over 2 years old, does it mean that it is still
> current?

Damn outlook and it's piss poor quoting.

AGI like CGI hasn't had a need to change much over the years. A few
commands have been made available but the interface is still the same.
Same goes to FastAGI and FastCGI.

After giving it a quick glance, it seems some of the commands have been
updated since then.

As usual, the best answers come either from the source or the CLI. At
the CLI for asterisk, "show agi" will provide a list of acceptable
commands. "show agi <command name>" will show usage. For instance

pbx*CLI> show agi
              answer   Asserts answer
      wait for digit   Waits for a digit to be pressed
           send text   Sends text to channels supporting it
        receive char   Receives text from channels supporting it
            tdd mode   Sends text to channels supporting it
         stream file   Sends audio file on channel
          send image   Sends images to channels supporting it
          say digits   Says a given digit string
          say number   Says a given number
            say time   Says a given time
            get data   Gets data on a channel
         set context   Sets channel context
       set extension   Changes channel extension
        set priority   Prioritizes the channel
         record file   Records to a given file
      set autohangup   Autohangup channel in some time
              hangup   Hangup the current channel
                exec   Executes a given Application
        set callerid   Sets callerid for the current channel
      channel status   Returns status of the connected channel
        set variable   Sets a channel variable
        get variable   Gets a channel variable
             verbose   Logs a message to the asterisk verbose log
        database get   Gets database value
        database put   Adds/updates database value
        database del   Removes database key/value
    database deltree   Removes database keytree/value
                noop   Does nothing
           set music   Enable/Disable Music on hold generator
pbx*CLI> show agi record file
        Record to a file until a given dtmf digit in the sequence is received
 Returns -1 on hangup or error.  The format will specify what kind of file
 will be recorded.  The timeout is the maximum record time in milliseconds, or
 -1 for no timeout. Offset samples is optional, and if provided will seek to
 the offset without exceeding the end of the file.  "silence" is the number
 of seconds of silence allowed before the function returns despite the
 lack of dtmf digits or reaching timeout.  Silence value must be
 preceeded by "s=" and is optional.
pbx*CLI>

Any further questions should be less general as all general questions
should be answered by the already given documentation.