[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality tuning with VOIP/Grandstreams... echo, cut out, codecs, asterisk

asterisk lists traci.asterisk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:22:13 MST 2005

Try using g711 (ulaw) and make sure to turn Silence Suppression OFF as
asterisk needs the full audio stream for assembling the audio streams.
 Once you get the call quality good using g711 (ulaw), then you can
play around with the other codecs (g729, etc).  Also, try a 20ms frame
size.

Unfortunately, echo is usally introduced at the central office due to
an impedence imbalance.  Some SIP phones have echo cancellation
options built-in to compensate (not sure the Grandstream has that
feature).

You may also see if you have VAD enabled in the phone.  If you do, turn it OFF.

Hope that helps!

- Pedro
VoIP by TRACI.net