[Asterisk-Users] SIP + NAT = horrible mess

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Jan 27 16:04:05 MST 2005

I was expecting to have to port forward too and yet our setup doesn't
require it, not on the laptop nor on the wireless router.

I think as long as the SIP clients open a port on the NATing device and
keep them open so the SIP provider can connect to it, all is well, even
if STUN isn't used.

I was surprised by how easy it was to NAT the Grandstreams.  I had
visions of having every device being assigned a static IP and having a
fistful of port forwards assigned to them on the router.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.