[Asterisk-Users] SIP + NAT = horrible mess

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Jan 27 15:25:16 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 16:57 -0500, David Boyd wrote:
> Will you Please share your configuration, I was ready to give  up,
> thinking no one had been successful.

I am not using Asterisk, so I can only give you the Grandstream part of
things.  Maybe some of the Grandstream parameters will twig an idea for
an asterisk setting.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get my SIP devices working with a simple
NATing router and SIP provider before putting asterisk in the mix.

Our setup is:

Broadband->LinkSys WRT56G->Grandstreams and computers.

When operating in this configuration, the Grandstreams are configured
with DHCP and as follows:

Admin Password: (purposely not displayed for security protection)

SIP Server: sip.babytel.ca

Outbound Proxy: nat.babytel.ca:5065

SIP User ID: (the user part of an SIP address)

Authenticate ID: same as above

Authenticate Password:  (purposely not displayed for security
protection)

Name: (optional, e.g., John Doe)

Advanced Options:

G723 rate: 6.3kbps encoding rate

iLBC frame size: 30ms

iLBC payload type: 99

Silence Suppression: No

Voice Frames per TX: 2

Layer 3 QoS: 48

Layer 2 QoS: 802.1Q/VLAN Tag  0
802.1p priority value 0

Use DNS SRV: Yes

User ID is phone number: No

SIP Registration: Yes

Unregister On Reboot: Yes

Register Expiration: 60 minutes

Early Dial: No

Dial Plan Prefix: <nothing>

No Key Entry Timeout: 4

Use # as Dial Key: No

local SIP port: 5060

local RTP port: 5004

Use random port: Yes

NAT Traversal: No   (Don't set up a STUN server.)

keep-alive interval: 20 seconds

Use NAT IP <nothing>

Proxy-Require: <nothing>

<snip>

Send DTMF: in-audio

When double NATing, the setup is:

broadband->WRT54G wireless router-> air ->laptop wifi->laptop Ethernet
port->Grandstream

In this config the Grandstream is set up the same, except that I set the
laptop Ethernet port to a static IP and the Grandstream to one too.

When I am using a static IP, I give it 2 DNS servers so that it can
resolve the sip urls.

I hope this helps.

I've also taken the laptop to other offices and hooked into their
wireless networks with no problems.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.