[Asterisk-Users] SIP + NAT = horrible mess

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 27 13:18:43 MST 2005

Hi Guys,

After days of fiddling, I can't really get my SIP device to work
communicate with Asterisk behind NAT. Sometimes the STUN server is
flaky, sometimes the device isn't reachable if the connection is dropped
and then put back on, sometimes it registers OK, sometimes it doesn't, etc.

I've come to the same conclusion as the wiki: it's probably better to
avoid this horrible mess by either using IAX or doing VPN. Letting the
IAX option aside, are you aware of any SIP devices that support some
simple, easy to use VPN protocol?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.