[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom phones

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Thu Jan 27 11:18:17 MST 2005

Hello,

When I talked with the VP of VOIP phone sales at Polycom about a year ago,
he was offering a dedicated engineer for the Asterisk community that would
work through issues like people have here. BUT they would ONLY do this if a
reseller came forward and committed to be the Polycom authorized reseller to
Asterisk users and the dedicated engineer at Polycom would only talk to
people at that reseller company. After wasting 3 months unsuccessfully
trying to convince a half dozen resellers to be that company I gave up. That
reseller would have to raise the prices to be able to support the phones,
and as long as you can buy the Polycom phones at a lower cost from over a
dozen companies that company would be losing a lot of business.

I didn't fault anyone at the reseller companies I talked to, they would be
taking a risk by dedicating resources to supporting Asterisk with no
guarantee of exclusivity from Polycom. The problem is with Polycom, they
make about as much by Cisco selling a phone(from licensing of Polycom
technology) as they do by selling their own phones(with many other costs and
liabilities associated with it). They have no real incentive to go all out
and compete with their biggest customers(Cisco, Avaya, etc...) So they don't
try to make their phones a mass-market item. It's a shame, because I really
like the Polycom phones and have several in our office. If someone else
wants to take up the fight, contact me off list and I'll send you my
contacts.

MATT---