[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom phones

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Thu Jan 27 09:30:26 MST 2005

/Snip/
I have the same dilemma with Polycom phones. Given their support
(actually complete lack of), I am quite loathe to giving them business.
On the other hand they are so darned cheap compared to other similar
phones, I sure get tempted to use them if I can find a workaround.

Compare Polycom IP-500 for $170 vs. Sayson-480i for $250 or SNOM-190 for
$220. If it were a matter of 1 or 2 phones, I will gladly go with SNOM
or Sayson, but if I have to buy 50, Polycoms become irresistible.

As a matter of fact, my current client needs 120 phones to work with
Asterisk. I have to make a decision soon about which one do I give to
him.
--jt
/Snip/

I use Polycom phones and have no issues with the firmware or the quality
of the calls.

My opinion (guess) on Polycom's Asterisk policy is - It is not that
Polycom does not want their phones to be used with Asterisk. At the
price these phones are sold, they will not be able provide support for
all the features (AKA bugs or quirks) of Asterisk and make them
transparent to Asterisk SIP stack and more notably - be user friendly
for the Asterisk newbie user community. :)

Remember that is is just like any other good SIP Phone and there are
thousands of satisfied customers who did not have any problem with the
firmware. If you know how to install this phone, you have a good product
there and it works as long as you don't need upgrades.

Seshu