[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom and call waiting again...

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Thu Jan 27 06:58:00 MST 2005

>Message: 10
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:53:39 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Sean A. Newton" <nester-asterisk at wewt.net>
>Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom and call waiting again..
>	<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Noah Miller wrote:
>
>> > Have you tried adding SetGroup(), and CheckGroup() functions
>> > to the dialplan that rings the phone?  It maybe something to try.
>>
>> I think the problem is that these functions only work from the
dialplan.  In this case, Sean is trying to get calls from a Queue (and
not the dialplan) to the correct line on the phone.

>> I was thinking about implementing a queue for our receptionists, but
this problem prevents me from doing that, and I
>> haven't figured out any way around it.  Maybe the new 1.4.1 firmware
provides a way to disable that horrid call-waiting
>> "feature"?  Has anybody gotten it to run successfully?

I have a number of queues which ring to dedicated call appearances, if
that's what you're trying to do.  In my SIP config, I have: (sorry about
capitalization... For some unknown reason, we had to standardize on M$
Outlook... *sigh*)

[1234]
Type=friend
Context=whatever
Host=dynamic
Secret=password1234
Dtmfmode=inband
Disallow=all
Allow=ulaw

[1234b]
Type=friend
Context=whatever
Secret=password1234b
Dtmfmode=inband
Disallow=all
Allow=ulaw
Outgoinglimit=1
. . .

Rinse, lather, and repeat for each queue you want on a phone, or as many
call appearances as you have.  Since we have IP600s, and nobody is in
more than 5 queues currently, it works well for us.  We avoid the call
waiting issue using the outgoinglimit=1 directive, as the Asterisk
server will only send one call to the phone at a time.  I know that it
is supposedly going away soon, but it's working right now.

I just statically define the queues to have the appropriate call
appearances like
Member => SIP/1234b

Then, in the phone1234.cfg file, I set each appearance to be 1234,
1234b, 1234c, etc.

The problem with this is that each IP600 adds 80 lines to the sip.conf
file, and each time we add queue members, I have to modify the
queues.conf file.  But it works for our needs.

>Exactly.. SetGroup was suggested by someone on the irc channel.. I
looked
>at it briefly. I was then shot down by someone saying to save my
effort,
>it didn't work.
>
>I suspected as much, due to the fact that the Queue function doesn't
use
>the exten config for that phone. And it shouldn't.. The phone should be
>able to take care of this problem..

Yeah, I didn't think it would work, so I never went down that road
either.

>I've unfortunately got myself into a bind because I've bought ~35 of
>these phones. :eek:

Well, if you just can't use them, I could send you my address ;)

>If everyone thinks SetGroup and CheckGroup will work, I will spend the
>next days working with it, but I don't want to go barking up the tree
of
>something that doesn't look like it will work. :|
>
>I'm also interested to try out the 1.4.1 firmware. Just need to procure
>copy of it..

The 1.4.1 firmware is available now from a website that escapes me, but
is linked from the WIKI.  I've been testing it for about 12 hours, and
so far so good :)

>--Sean

Hope this helps,
David Gomillion