[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream setup woe and solution

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Jan 27 04:52:17 MST 2005

Just added a new Grandstream BT102 to my network. Its running new
firmware (Ver 1.0.5.22 of 2005-01-21). I could NOT get the damn thing to
(SIP) register....

Gripe 1: The New Firmware does NOT show the current version of all the
firmware. You have to ask the phone manually with its menu button.

Gripe 2: It does not show '****' in the the two password fields... This
is what caught me - I had two browser (tabbed) sessions and was
switching between them - looking for differences... obvious the password
fields now being blank look the same.. I never typed in the
"Authenticate Password:"  ....

Doing so fixed the problem.

If anyone from Grandstream lurks - can they change this behaviour? - at
least fake some '***' in the password fields...

Asterisk also had me chasing my tail - it never mentioned anything such
as 'SIP Registration password is incorrect' - I got one..

chan_sip.c:7231 handle_request: Failed to authenticate user "Phone Five"
<sip:phone5 at asterisk.mydom.com;user=phone>;tag=fjhgkjhgkhjlk

(OK - "failed authentication" - but something about the password would
have been better)

and got lots of...
chan_sip.c:7588 handle_request: Registration from
'<sip:phone5 at asterisk.mydom.com;user=phone>' failed for '192.168.0.126'

... which had me "grep"ing around for the word "phone"  (should this
have not been "phone5" ??)

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE