[Asterisk-Users] IAX Softphone

Gareth Blades list-asterisk at linguaphone.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 02:05:56 MST 2005

Both applications work well and the sound quality seems to be identical
between them.

Firefly has limited features but it is well polished and looks nice. It
gives the impression that it is easy to use so would be a good choice
for users who are not very computer literate.

Diax has more features such as being able to alter the headset volume
during the call without having to go to the volume control setting in
the mixer. It has the option to play the ringing tone out of a different
sound source than the normal volume which is great if you use a
bluetooth headset as you can set the speakers to ring and not wear the
headset all the time.

It is only really the address book that I dont like in Diax. You have
buttons you can program but to search for a contact you have to open the
address book. Firefly has an expanding list which is a lot simpler. If
you have loads of contacts the Firefly approach will probably become
limiting.

Firefly does not allow you to enter the users name so all CLID is set to
the number only. Diax allows you to specifically set the CLID name and
number which is better.

Diax supports showing the number of new and old voicemail messages
although I have not managed to get that working yet.
Diax supports 8 connections so you can switch between them easily and
choose which system you wish to make the call over.
Diax also has AGC support which enables me to leave the 'mic boost'
turned off and still get acceptible microphone volume. This reduces the
background noise picked up by the mic.

In conclusion therefore I think Diax is the much better application and
it is only its addressbook and the not so intuitive GUI for non computer
literate users that lets it down compared to Firefly.