[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Wed Jan 26 17:40:18 MST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Michael 'Moose' Dinn wrote:

>> If you need a rocksolid solution have a look at astlinux that can boot *
>> from a compact flash card in read only mode which makes it very hard to
>> break :)
>>

> You should be able to boot Asterisk using slackware as a base from a 64M CF
> card or even from a 64M bootable USB memory key. If you use ReiserFS or
> something similar for the drive that stores all your voicemail, etc then it
> should come back without a problem as well.

Indeed, I'm thinking of using 2 CompactFlash ATA disks. One fully read
only with just a small partition writable that will keep /etc/asterisk
(astlinux mounts read-only always and only mounts read-write if you need
to change/save the config). No worries about unclean shutdown.

The second disk I will use for voicemail, and I can swap it every year
before it wears down.

It's probably possible to do it with another distro too but astlinux is
already pretty much finished :) And the cost of 512 Mb or 1 GB ATA flash
is not much more than a McDonalds meal anyways (1GB is about USD 100 now)

For voicemail I could also use a microdrive but I'm not sure what will
happen if it breaks and * tries to read/write from it. If that would bring
the box down it's no solution.