[Asterisk-Users] ANNOUNCEMENT : NEWCallingCardApplicationforAsterisk

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jan 26 16:13:27 MST 2005

On January 26, 2005 02:55 pm, S. William Schulz wrote:
> If your code creates, or your data validation allows the above, then the
> database you are using is the least of your worries.

Spoken like a true newbie.  All programs have perfect data entry.  Right.  :-)

Seriously though I use a DB because I want my data to conform to a given set
of constraints.  MySQL has a habit of ignoring the constraints I tell it to
enforce (best case), selectively applying them, or using its own set of
(mostly documented) constraints (worst case).

Sure, my app is supposed to do type checking and make sure I'm feeding good
data to the DB but let's face it, shit happens.  The DB is the "last resort"
of type checking...  if the data doesn't "fit" then it should be rejected,
and an appropriate error filtered up to the user.  The DB should *not* go
about making decisions about what can be juggled so the data will conform.

Hell these days MySQL doesn't even have the speed record -- that tired old
argument has finally been put to rest for most sane-minded people.

-A.