[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom Phones

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Wed Jan 26 12:32:32 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of J Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:17 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom Phones

I purchased some 20 Polycom phones (brand new) for a very good price of
around $165 each. Now I am having a nightmare in configuring them. I
pulled the bootrom, SIP and config files from freedomphones.com,
modified them for my need and and started configuring the phones. First
couple of phones worked well, but I could not configure most of the
remaining phones. They complain about "Error in loading bootrom". I
suspect these are newer phones with newer bootrom than I have.

I contacted Polycom. After many emails and calls, finally got hold of
someone in the SIP certification dept. He was very blatant in saying
that Polycom has decided not to support Asterisk. When I asked him just
to give us the bootrom, and SIP application firmware for the phones, he
refused that too saying it was against Polycom Policy.

Now I am thinking why the hell should I use Polycom phones when they are
so knee jerk about the Asterisk community. They would not even give us
legitimate firmware either. They are so arrogant (or stupid) to keep off
such a significant user community.

What do others feel about this issue. Should we just decide to stay away
from Polycom phones? Or try to keep a copy of their firmware somewhere
in the community like freedomphones.com?

Thanks,
-- jt

I would recommend SaySon phones which have similar or better features at
the same prices and they love and support Asterisk. We use the 480i and
it works great.

http://www.sayson.com

Seshu Kanuri