[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk HEAD ->> Stable schedule?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Jan 26 11:32:55 MST 2005

Jim Van Meggelen wrote:

> I had always thought that the difference between STABLE and HEAD *was*
> the stability. Not so much stability in terms of code, but more in terms
> of features and compatibility. Is that not the same numbering philosophy
> that applies with Linux?

It used to be, yes.

However, saying "1.1.x" applies to HEAD is irrelevant if there are never
any releases made from HEAD. Version numbers are only applied to
releases, and if the next release that is made is a release candidate
for STABLE, then it will be 1.1.0-rc1 or something like that.

Having even/odd version numbers does make sense if releases are made
from the development branch, so that they can be tracked separately from
the stable branch.