[Asterisk-Users] SOLVED: Wireless Grandstream via NATing wifi laptop

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Jan 26 00:20:37 MST 2005

I fixed the problem I had with my laptop crashing after I hung up from a
call.  The problem appeared to be caused by running ndiswrapper (the
driver wrapper for the wireless card in my laptop) with a 4K stack in a
2.6.10 kernel.

I rebuilt the kernel with the 4K stack disabled and the problem
disappeared.  ndiswrapper warns during its build that a 4K kernel stack
might give problems, but I use the machine every day without any
problems, so I assumed it was OK.  I guess the extra networking load of
NATing the Grandstream pushed it to failure.

I've been making calls for about 20 minutes with the 8K stack without
any issues.  Voice quality is good, there are no rings on hangup, etc.
I'm very happy with how this project is turning out.

BTW, my setup is as follows:

HP zd7280 laptop
Fedora Core 3
Kernel 2.6.10-1.753 rebuilt stock except with 4K stack option disabled
NATing function provided by firestarter
Grandstream BT100 phone with firmware version x.22

I'll provide a HOWTO (done when I can get to it) if anyone is
interested.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.