[Asterisk-Users] Wireless Grandstream via NATing wifi laptop: problem.

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Jan 24 23:33:56 MST 2005

The following question concerns SIP and NATing Grandstreams and DOES NOT
discuss *.  I'm learning to walk in SIP land (without *) before I run
(with *).  My apologies if this is off topic.

I work in an office that is served by a wireless router.  There is no
network wiring anywhere near my desk.  I'd like to tie a Grandstream
into the Ethernet port on my wireless laptop, which would in turn
connect to a broadband connection via the wireless router.  The
connection would go like this:

Broadband Modem->Wireless Router->air->Wifi on Laptop -> Ethernet on
laptop -> Grandstream (via crossover Ethernet cable)

I am running Linux (what else) on the laptop. Fedora Core 3.  It has a
3.2GHz P4 with HT and a fast hard drive, so NATing a bit of voice data
shouldn't be a problem.

I got it to work, kind of.  I can call out and we can have a
conversation but I have 2 problems:

a) There is a lot of echo in the conversation.

b) When I hang up the Grandstream, it crashes the laptop.

I haven't worked on a), but I am stumped by symptom b.

Any ideas on whether this is a Linux/NAT problem or a SIP/Grandstream
problem ?

I'll go into further details as people need them.

The Grandstream is running version 1.0.5.18

BTW: If I connect the Grandstream to the wireless router directly (ie
with an Ethernet cable) it works fine.  Actually, it works better than
fine: I am very happy with the voice quality and call handling.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.