[Asterisk-Users] Re: Bellster - IAX-based interchange -- lets you call anywhere for free

Steven P. Donegan steve at donegan.org
Mon Jan 24 18:52:03 MST 2005

I don't want to be negative here, but I do believe people who go to do
this know the potential risks they face. In many countries (4 of which I
have direct, although several year old experience with - all in Asia)
taking a local phone line and attaching asterisk to it and gatewaying
traffic from other countries will be considered to be 'theft' by the
local governments/telco's (of their long distance revenues). My
experiences were all with USA<-> Asian manufacturing locations - if you
did voice-over-network between the same companies offices no sweat - the
moment you allowed hop-off/hop-on gatewaying you were at risk to lose
your phone lines!!!