[Asterisk-Users] SIP-T Support (I got my head in an SS7 cloud)

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Mon Jan 24 14:58:32 MST 2005

Hey All,
I'm just daydreaming here.. but what's the status of SIP-T in Asterisk?
I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on SIP-T but seems like
just an extension of SIP. Right?

Now if I had a PSTN Gateway (that is a SS7 gateway) that supported
SIP-T, could I signal * with SIP-T from it and have asterisk utilize
MGCP to sieze a particular DS0 on a remote DS1? Hmm.. What am I missing
here.. ??

Hmm, but outbound calls would be more complicated I think.. Let see, SIP
user dials a number, we'll eventually  place a dial out on the MGCP
line, but we need to first send a few SIP-T messages to find out where
to put it..

Just swiming around in it here.. Any thoughts? It seems to me that you
MUST use something like MGCP or H.248 to connect the call to the PSTN
(media gateway) since the specific DS0 to be utilized will be included
in the ISUP messages..

-Brett