[Asterisk-Users] ISP connection to the PSTN using Asterisk

Hunter Cook asterisk at illperipherals.com
Mon Jan 24 10:44:57 MST 2005

Aisling-

Yes, I've been wondering about this part of the system too. I'm at a
small local ISP, and have a few customers currently connecting through
me to some of the SIP providers (Vonage, NuFone, etc.) but have been
thinking about putting up my own PSTN gateway. It just seems like a
really big hassle though, working out the various agreements and getting
PRI's and all that. So I was looking for an easier way, and stumbled
across this:

http://www.business.att.com/default/index.jsp?pageid=gc_index&branchid=gc

...AT&T is one of our backbone providers, so it seems like a great idea
to me. If I'm reading this (sparse) documentation right, it seems I can
just set up my asterisk server to send H.323 to them and they will worry
about the routing from there. Right? Of course, I don't know what their
rates are looking like, but I thought I'd ask everyone around here...has
anybody used this service, and could share their experience? Or can
anybody see potential pitfalls with doing things this way?

Thanks

Hunter.