[Asterisk-Users] Not answering PSTN until SIP answers

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jan 24 05:56:20 MST 2005

> I was just wondering whether or not anybody has a dial plan or some
> advice on getting a SIP phone to ring without answering the PSTN line
> so that the caller doesn't have to pay for the phone call unless it
> actually get answered by a human or the answering machine after 40
> seconds. I had a look through the wiki but there wasn't anything I
> could find (probably the wrong search terms). Any advice is greatly
> appreciated.

The default operation for an incoming zap call ringing a sip phone
is to "not answer" the call until the sip phone is picked up. That
implies you've got something in your dialplan that is telling the
zap interface to answer the incoming call right away.

You might post your relavent sections of zapata.conf and extensions.conf
if you want someone to help.