[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sun Jan 23 20:30:10 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>  On January 23, 2005 04:04 pm, Mike Sander wrote:
>
> > Is the harddisk activity on a standard asterisk install such that I
> > don't really have to worry if the power cuts??
>
>  Not typically; there isn't much writing going on, this is true. Are
>  you that cash strapped that a $75 UPS with a serial port is out of
>  your budget?

No kidding... the cost of a server than won't come up again is much more
substantial than the countermeasure... the $75 (you can get a 350 Va for
$45 even!) and a slightly less energy efficient system. If you can
afford to spend more, a decent active UPS would keep your power
conditioned as well...

> > As I understand, if HD activity is minimal, the probability of HD
> > failure is significantly reduced.
>

>  HDDs don't fail because they lose power.

Unless the heads crash, which can happen if power fails. I know HDD
manufacturers have done "head unloading" and such recently, but the risk
is still higher if power is suddenly lost during a write.

Nick