[Asterisk-Users] can iaxcomm run on the same server as Asterisk?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sun Jan 23 12:07:18 MST 2005

Steve Kann wrote:

> Actually, the fatal issue is that asterisk's chan_oss or chan_alsa grabs
> the sound device, so iaxclient can't do so.

I can't run it anymore (I used to could. . . ) even on a machine that
*isn't* running Asterisk.

I haven't changed anything else on my machine, so I think it's somehow
mis-aiming itself wrt the audio devices on the machine.

At my site things degraded gradually: last summer things worked OK, but
it only used hoggy codecs.  Once ilbc was added it ran as long as I
stayed a mile away from that codec.

The latest version doesn't work at all.  When I try to call I get lots
of errors on the "console:"

ortAudio error at opening separate output stream: Host error.
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
PortAudio error at opening separate input stream: Host error.
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
PortAudio error at opening separate input stream: Host error.
PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
PortAudio error at opening separate input stream: Host error.

And the bottom of the interface says, "Can't start audio."

The IAX part appears to be working OK, though, and the little microphone
VU meter bounces along like it sees *some* kind of audio, but nothing
comes out the speakers.

FWIW.

B.