[Asterisk-Users] Web min Module for Asterisk (and thirdlane) {Scanned}

David Shaw asterisk at ke6upi.com
Sat Jan 22 20:50:13 MST 2005

I'm a firefighter and we have a lot time off. So I help out with the other
firefighters. They have small businesses and I install Linux Servers. They
seem to like Webmin. I have one firefighter that runs a small pool clean
business and needs a small PBX.(3 lines) Anyways, its just easyer on me to
show them how to make changes on webmin.

David

> Webmin modules are usually written in perl but there is always the
> possibility that the perl invokes some compiled binaries. I would always
> ask if 100% source is included. Otherwise you can end up paying for
> something that someday prevents you from upgrading the overall linux
> system.
>
> Don't forget that looking at proprietary source code can put you in a
> position where your contributions to open source might be challenged.
> They might falsely accuse you of "borrowing" from the proprietary code
> you saw. It can get complicated. Ask me to work on proprietary software
> for your senseless widget manufacturing plant and I will give you a
> great deal. Ask me to work on proprietary software for something I am
> really interested in like voip and I will ask you to compensate me for
> every day that the non-disclosure and do-not-compete clauses are in
> effect. I guess I'm poor but free.
>
> I have thought about writing a free * webmin module. It would definitely
> have to use the * remote management features. Reason for that is maybe I
> don't want webmin(and many other things) running on a busy * server. You
> can always have webmin available on the server for maintainance needs
> but not started at boot time. The rest of the time you use webmin and
> the * module on another machine to manage various * servers. You can use
> stunnel to encrypt management traffic to remote servers. Take a really
> good look at Jamie Cameron's webmin and you will see that it was
> designed with this type of need in mind. You could use a single webmin
> server to manage a building with dozens of networked servers. He already
> put lots of tools in the toolbox for the module developer.
>
> Anyway, I would agree with Henry for my own situation. But maybe you
> would quickly get your $300 worth because you want to have a
> cross-trained pbx management team. Or maybe you can get a good price on
> this and bundle it with systems you sell. The screen shots on the
> website didn't tell me enough to make me salivate over it.
>
> --
> Paul
>
> Henry Devito wrote:

Thanks, David