[Asterisk-Users] Dialogic D/4PCI

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sat Jan 22 10:38:24 MST 2005

On 22 Jan 2005, at 17:14, Steve Beaumont wrote:

> Is there ant chance of the Dialogic card model D/4PCI working with
> asterisk ?

The advice I was given when I asked a similar question about a dialogic
board
was, roughly : It is possible but it will cost you money for the
license and the results
will be disappointing. If you are serious about asterisk, then get a
well -supported card,
possibly funded by selling the dialogic on eBay.

I took the advice (but didn't sell the card) and have not regretted it.
The issue is partly about the philosophy of the card. Asterisk does as
much as possible
on the main CPU and as little as possible on the card. Dialogic
(especially older cards)
take the opposite view, producing a incompatibility that can be
overcome, but only
by ignoring or working around most of the features of the Dialogic card.

If you just want to dabble, build an IP only system, and use
soft-phones.

Tim.
http://www.westhawk.co.uk