[Asterisk-Users] Cisco IP Phones

Keith Burns kburns at porchlightcom.com
Fri Jan 21 18:26:09 MST 2005

I think you need to look at a few other factors.

1. Some IP phones are really flakey (had some serious issues with a
couple of vendors MGCP Business line package).

2. Line power - Cisco uses one standard, other phones use another... but
Cisco is the 900# gorilla in the powered switch market... your call...

3. Feature sets. Cisco puts a lot into their SCCP image... cos... well,
its their (ok, Selsius') standard, but not a great deal into their SIP
image (can anyone say 7914 ?)

4. Perception. Yep, it matters... want to put a Freedom Fries phone on a
customer's desktop when they have all Cisco switches and routers... if
they are so technically obtuse they need someone to put a telephony
system in for them, they will probably "believe the hype" and want
Cisco.

Anyway, my 2c (and given the value of the Euro vs the USD, I guess my
opinion ain't worth that much)