[Asterisk-Users] Where is the * servers IP defined for sip phones?

eamonn doyle doyle at omtool.com
Fri Jan 21 14:26:36 MST 2005

This I am sure is a very easy question, but I can't seem to find the
answer.

Here is the scenario:

cisco 7940g phone has SIP 6.3 firmware applied
the file SIP<mac>.cnf does not seem to have a place for it:

image_version: P0S3-06-3-00

#line 1 settings
line1_name: "5010"                   ; Line 1 ExtensionUser ID
line1_displayname: "5010"           ; Line 1 Display Name
line1_authname: "5010"         ; Line 1 Registration Authentication
line1_password: "cisco"         ; Line 1 Registration Password
line1_shortname: "5010"

The SIPDefault.cnf has the proxy addresses is that where it goes?

The sip.conf states that this host[phone] is dynamic but either way  it
must "register" with the * server somehow.  It is getting it's tftp
files from the * server so I know they are talking.

[general]

port = 5060           ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0    ; Address to bind to (all addresses on machine)
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
callerid = Unknown

[5010]
type=friend
username=5010
secret=cisco
context=from-sip
callerid="Eamonn" <5010>
qualify=1000
host=dynamic
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
mailbox=5010

Also I have seen many examples online and in Paul Mahler's book for one
that show host=dynamic and defaultip=some_ip_address in the same context
this seems confusing, to me at least.

Thanks
Eamonn