[Asterisk-Users] Powell resigns

dean collins dean at collins.net.pr
Fri Jan 21 13:28:40 MST 2005

Breaking News - Powell resigns as FCC Chair

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Michael Powell
announced his resignation today (January 21, 2005) and will step down in
March. In a brief statement on the FCC's website (www.fcc.gov) Powell
said, "Having completed a bold and aggressive agenda, it is time for me
to pursue other opportunities and let someone else take the reins of the
agency. During my tenure, we worked to get the law right in order to
stimulate innovative technology that puts more power in the hands of the
American people, giving them greater choices that enrich their lives."

Speculation had been high before the November elections that Powell
would be leaving the FCC regardless of who won the presidency. In
January, industry insiders had described Powell's remaining term as
Chairman as a matter of "weeks." Now Washington insiders are playing the
game of who will replace Powell at the FCC, with the inside track being
given to either current FCC commissioner Kevin Martin or Becky Klein,
former head of the Texas Public Utility Commission.

Giving up half way before the job was done? Proving too difficult and
leaving before the reality of the quagmire gets attributed to him?

Anyone else have any thoughts about why?

Dean