[Asterisk-Users] IAXTEL is dead/dying?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:28:46 MST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:26:12 -0700, Steve Murphy <murf at e-tools.com> wrote:
> I didn't get any response at all to my last "request for status" on
> IAXTEL.
>
> So, when this happens, I attribute it to one of a number of things:
>
> 1. No-one knows.
> 2. No-one cares.
> 3. Everyone knows, but are too busy to reply.

I didn't happen to see that message you sent before, but even if I
did, I was probably too busy to reply :)

Anyways, I used to use IAXTEL with great success.  However, for almost
nearly a year or so, I've been having significant latency problems
with it.  My qualify times were anywhere between 1500 and 5000ms, and
since I wasn't really using it that much, or receiving many calls on
it, I basically just dropped it.

I know a few others who have also done the same.

Basically if you need a free VoIP service, I recommend using
FreeWorldDialup with either SIP of IAX2 (I use IAX2) as it has what I
believe to be the largest user base, so might as well just use that.
Plus they have break outs to lots of the other free services
(including IAXtel).

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com