[Asterisk-Users] IAXTEL is dead/dying?

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Fri Jan 21 11:26:12 MST 2005

I didn't get any response at all to my last "request for status" on
IAXTEL.

So, when this happens, I attribute it to one of a number of things:

1. No-one knows.
2. No-one cares.
3. Everyone knows, but are too busy to reply.

At any rate, my investigative side kicks in and I began searching thru
the digest's I've gotten, looking for references to IAXTEL. Mostly it is
mentioned in snippets of extensions.conf files submitted, or in people's
sigs,  but I've copy/pasted below a few relevant snippets I've spotted
on this mailing list going backwards in time...

Based on what I see, just before and at christmas, I don't see
complaints, and people are suggesting to use it. But, after Christmas,
the tone changes, and people are now advising against using IAXTEL.

So, is there anybody out there at Digium, who can give the party line as
to what the status of IAXTEL is, and if this is temporary? It might be
best to make an announcement, as I'm sure folks will be scratching their
heads and asking on the list what they are doing wrong when they can't
fire up their IAXTEL connection.

The impression I have at the moment is that IAXTEL is overloaded and
can't keep up with registration traffic, let alone phone call bandwidth.
Maybe it's just me and I've got a lousy internet path to it. But FWD is
working very well, I just got my first call (besides me testing it)
today! And sound quality was fine. I was looking forward to boasting
my cool 1-700 number, but it looks not to be...

And, lest anyone mistake this post as derogatory against IAXTEL, let me
clearly state that I appreciate the efforts of Digium, and VoicePulse,
to provide this free service, and also acknowledge the obvious benefits
the entire asterisk community has reaped from its existence!

murf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 28 Dec 2004:

> Hi List,
>
> While trying to calling Toll Free numbers using IAXTEL, the call
> connects, Iear about 2 seconds of voice and then the voice drops off
> and I get the
> following error message which keeps scrolling across my console
> screen.
>
> WARNING[-167797840]: chan_iax2.c:5967 socket_read: Received mini frame
> before first full voice frame
>
> Asterisk shows that the format of this call is GSM.
>
> However if I make a call to the same TOLL Free number using the FWD
> network
> from the asterisk box then the call goes through fine. In this case
> Asterisk
> shows that the format for the call is ulaw.
>
> Any idea what the issue might be ?
>
> Thanks
> --

26 Dec 2004:
> > But i can exclude a problem with my extensions because the peer gets
> refused
> > bevor i dial.
> >
> > *CLI> iax2 show registry
> > Host                  Username    Perceived             Refresh
> State
> > 69.73.19.178:4569     mnetwork    <Unregistered>             60
> Rejected
> >
> > By the way i'm running Asterisk 1.0.3-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC3.
>
> Okay, for reference here's what I'm using today, and its working
> just fine. Just checked it. (CVS-HEAD-12/15/04)

24 Dec 2004:
> Hello list,
> the guys here at Xcept wanted to say Merry Christmas to the list and
> the
> people who make Asterisk possible, so we put together this little
> Asterisk-based Christmas app...
> Justr dial IAXtel 1-700-444-6295 and be happy :-)
> Yours,
> lenz, laura and marco
> the crew at Xcept

18 Dec 2004:
Also, I recommend getting an account on IAXtel or FWD, and connecting a
softphone directly to those networks, and then into your system. That'll
stress your outgoing bandwidth, and potentially provide all kinds of
interesting information about what works and doesn't.

Cheers,

Jim.