[Asterisk-Users] E911 Testing !

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Thu Jan 20 12:01:48 MST 2005

Thanks, Brett, for the info! I actually /like/ the long winded descriptions.

FYI - In some places, the 911 dispatchers are the same people who answer
the Sheriff's, Local PD and Fire phone numbers. So, simply calling the
Sheriff's Dept. and saying that you just installed a new phone system
and want to test 911 would be a good place to start.

Calling 911 and saying "oh, I'm just testing" would be a bad idea,
although it happens *a lot* (older people mostly, from what I hear.)

While it's a bad idea, it's better than not testing it at all. 911
dispatchers are well trained. They know how to handle all sorts of
calls, including testing, info, "I lost my dog" and "I'm dying." If they
/are/ busy and you say "testing" they can clear the call in a matter of
seconds and get back to the emergencies at hand.

Obviously, if you're a CLEC, or someone who's going to be making several
test calls, you'll want to establish a procedure with the dispatch
center first.

As other posters have pointed out, it's always far better to test (even
with bad procedures) than to not test and have the system fail in an
emergency.

I've done volunteer work for emergency services and disaster agencies
and the rule of thumb is *always*, "When In Doubt, Call It In!"

When calling _anyone_ involved in emergency services, be brief and to
the point. And, in most cases, skip introducing yourself, your company,
what your working, etc. Just say what you want and answer any questions
directly and briefly. ie, call the Sheriff or local PD and say "I want
to test 911 on my new phone system." Don't get into a long winded
introduction. Also, when you're transfer to someone else (this may
happen more times than you'd like). Always start by saying the same
thing, "I want to test 911 on my new phone system."

This might sound like I'm stating the obvious, but emergency service
workers are trained in effective, efficent communication. If you speak
to them in the same way, you're immediately be considered "professional"
instead of "someone I have to deal with."

Okay, that's my long winded post of the day. Hopefully, someone will
find it useful.

cheers,
glenn