[Asterisk-Users] Becoming a VOIP provider

Ty Carter tmcarter at ultrastat.com
Wed Jan 19 13:50:04 MST 2005

Ed:

I think you must have some bad information here.....VoIP is an Information
service and not subject to CALEA regulations.....

According to the calea website:

In a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking FCC 02-42 released on February 15, 2002,
the FCC initiated a proceeding to establish rules and regulations regarding
the classification of "wireline broadband Internet access" under the
Telecommunications Act. Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) service is an example
of wireline broadband Internet access. In this document, the FCC
"tentatively" decided that wireline broadband Internet access is an
"information service."

In a Declaratory Ruling and Notice of Proposed Rulemaking FCC 02-77 released
on March 15, 2002, the FCC made a "declaratory ruling" that cable modem
service (Internet access through cable TV lines) is an "information service"
under the Telecommunication Act and initiated a proceeding to establish
rules and regulations based on that finding.

Therefore, the FCC's pending wireline broadband Internet access proceeding
is CC Docket Nos. 02-33, 95-20, and 98-10 and the cable modem broadband
Internet access proceeding is CS Docket No. 02-52 (collectively the "FCC
Broadband Proceedings").

It should be noted that the FCC is not primarily focusing on CALEA in these
proceedings, rather its emphasis is on the economic and policy concerns
involved in regulation of these services under the Communications Act.
However, since CALEA exempts "information service" from the surveillance
capability requirements of Section 103, these FCC decisions have the
potential to exclude broadband DSL and cable modem service from CALEA
compliance.

The FBI filed the following comments in the Broadband