[Asterisk-Users] Fax and PRI

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Wed Jan 19 08:37:20 MST 2005

On 2005.01.19 01:39 tim panton wrote:

> My options include;
> 	1) get a basic fax machine and plug it into a (iaxy/sipura?)
> ATA. Configure the ATA to do alaw
> so asterisk doesn't have to do any transcoding and hope it works.
> 	2) use spandsp on my asterisk system and add suitable print
> queues
> 	3) get an separate analog line and plug a fax into it
> 	4) use a fax modem on the back of an existing system and an ATA
> (like 1 but even less
> hardware)
> 	5) use a fax-to-email service
>
> I've been reading about all the problems that people have with fax.
> What do folk recommend?

Get a separate analog line and plug a fax into it.

It's an unfortunate expenditure, but Asterisk just does not do fax very
well.  There seems to be some bug with it and receiving faxes.

Andrew's experience seems to indicate that you could mix numbers 1 & 2
with success.  In other words, send with #1, and receive with #2.  I
don't have any experience with #2.  My experience with #1 is that
sending works fine, but receiving is not fine.

Lee.