[Asterisk-Users] Fax and PRI

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 19 02:39:54 MST 2005

I'm setting up a small office PBX on asterisk, and I've got to the
point where I have to decide on
what to do about FAX.

The current situation is: PRI (E1) connected to an E100 and sip hard
phones on their own network.

I'd like to add some very limited fax capability to the system.
Basically we need to send a couple
of faxes a month, and receive about the same number.

My options include;
	1) get a basic fax machine and plug it into a (iaxy/sipura?) ATA.
Configure the ATA to do alaw
so asterisk doesn't have to do any transcoding and hope it works.
	2) use spandsp on my asterisk system and add suitable print queues
	3) get an separate analog line and plug a fax into it
	4) use a fax modem on the back of an existing system and an ATA (like
1 but even less
hardware)
	5) use a fax-to-email service

I've been reading about all the problems that people have with fax.
What do folk recommend?

Tim.