[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality - commercial vs. Asterisk

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 18 14:54:16 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Capouch" <brianc at palaver.net>
> Paul Fielding wrote:
>
>> I agree I probably am having some packet queue problems, however i don't
>> think it's my only problem.  My Vonage ATA adapter is actually further
>> behind the line than my Asterisk server.  My configuration is such:
>
> I wonder about codec-related issues, as well.
>
> Any chance that the Cisco adapter is using g711 and the other phone is
> using something with a lesser sound quality, or that perhaps some
> transcoding is going on that might be introducing some quality
> degradation?

I'm not sure what codec the Vonage ATA (Linksys) is using, though I'd be
interested to find out.  When using my Asterisk server, either using
Grandstream BT-101/2 or X-Ten Pro, I'm using g711.   In some cases it's g711
to g711, in other's it's g711 to a ZAP chanel to an outside line.   I don't
think there's any other transcoding going on....

Paul