[Asterisk-Users] QoS tagging - can Asterisk do this, if not, what do you recommend?

Dale dale-list at lightwavetech.com
Tue Jan 18 11:44:49 MST 2005

Hello,

We have setup an Asterisk box and are trying to implement QoS (Quality of
Service) on our network. We purchased a DLink DES 3226L managed switch as
DLink told us this would do the trick for us. It appears they were wrong.

This DLink switch will prioritize data if it has already been tagged by
either the ATAs or Asterisk. In reviewing the Asteisk documentation I can
not see that Asterisk offers this functionality (of course I could have
missed the information). So my question is, does Asterisk offer the ability
to mark the voice data with the proper tags so that our switch can
prioritize the data through our network, or if it can't what hard ware
device would you suggest to do this? DLink claims their DES-3526 will tag
the data for us, but after their first recommendation being wrong, we are
hesitant to blindly belive them. The info on the DES-3526 is here -
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=330

Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointers on this subject.

Dale