[Asterisk-Users] Re: Media Path Optimization & NAT

Adam Sherman adam at sherman.ca
Tue Jan 18 08:46:54 MST 2005

Thanks for your patience, it is much appreciated. Continued below.

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>>I don't believe what you want is possible. The issue is in how sip
>>>handles reinvites and nating (or lack thereof). What will further
>>>complicate this is the laptop, when out of the office, is likely to
>>>be behind yet a different nat box and the addressing used behind
>>>that box may be completely different from your office nat.

It is my understanding that an intelligent soft-phone using STUN should
look like a system with a public IP when connecting to Asterisk. Thus, a
re-invite between the provider and the soft-phone would work.

However, there is no way for me to be selective and allow re-invites
between remote users and the provider, but not between local (NATed)
users and anyone else. I could have the local users go through an
"Outbound Proxy": would this solve the problem? I don't think so, since
then the mobile users would have trouhle when in the office.

Let me restate my problem. I have a group of users behind a constrained
pipe to the public network. There are a few mobile users that will
mostly be working from their home offices. I *really* want to avoid
having a call from a mobile user to a public number cause double the
traffic on the corporate link. Am I making any kind of sense?

Thanks again,

A.