[Asterisk-Users] Planning "hotel" phone system - Need input

tech at thefalls.bc.ca tech at thefalls.bc.ca
Mon Jan 17 23:20:06 MST 2005

Ok, I'm working on an implementation of Asterisk to service approximately 50
fractional (read: timeshare) residences.  Basically what I'm starting with is a
hotel phone system, but with additional functionality that Asterisk can
provide.  From the end user's perspective, I want the exact same functionality
as the Telco provides (Caller ID, visual message waiting, etc) with a few minor
modifications to the dialing plan.  Most calls will be transparent, but I want
the ability to call the concierge, etc.  On the Management side, we'll probably
have to integrate the configuration and call records into our property
manangement software.

My base requirements are 2 lines per unit minimum (voice/fax) with standard TDM
POTS distribution due to the geographic dispersity.  On the Telco side I'm
thinking T1 DID w/ outgoing, as we'd like to have independant numbers for each
unit, but not have to pay for 100 trunks.

The basic arrangement would be:
Telco <-> T1 <-> Asterisk <-> T1 <-> Channel Bank <-> POTS <-> regular phone

Here are my questions thus far:

- Firstly, which channel bank would best suit me?  I only need FXS, but I'll
need Caller ID, Visual Message waiting, and a decent ring generator.  I haven't
found much info on which FXS channel banks output FSK, or what loop length they
can tolerate.  ASDI would be nice too, but not yet a requirement.

- Can someone point me in the direction of sample configs for DID applications?

- What size server will I need?  Assume for now a pair of quad-T1 cards, 2 T1s
incoming, and 5 channel banks.  Shouldn't require much horsepower since it's T1
<-> T1 switching

- Can I get my NMS AG-T1/E1 card working with Asterisk for tinkering purposes?

- What kind of uptime am I going to expect on Asterisk?  Am I going to have to
reboot the server every 2 weeks?  Can I hope for carrier class service?

- Is it possible to change extensions on the fly?  For example, this week 555-
1111 rings in unit #10.  Next week theres a different tenant, so i want to make
555-2222 ring in unit #10, and send 555-1111 to voicemail.  Some kind of GUI to
accomplish this would also be nice.

Thanks in advance for your responses

~Rick