[Asterisk-Users] RE: Canadian Content: Telus and Shaw...

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 17 17:00:38 MST 2005

Kim Lux wrote:
> I called Telus before Christmas requesting some sort of VOIP
> connection. Here is what I learned:
>
> a) the guy I was talking to never heard of *

That'll change.

> b) they didn't think there was any way that a PC could
> perform the duties of a PBX

He was probably thinking of the Nortel BCM. It's a PC pretending to be a
PBX, and yeah, it ain't up to the task.

> c) they told me they didn't have any VOIP connections, but
> then told me that they would supply and connect Nortel PBXs using H323

Yep. The name of the game is customer lock-in.

> d) they would not supply me with an H323 connection for *.

More to the point, they don't have the processes in place to make it
happen.

> I don't have time to discuss this in detail, I just thought
> I'd share it based on the chat in the CDN list discussion.
>
> We are going with babytel.  I'll advise how that works when
> it is up and running, hopefully next week.

I don't see an option to connect Asterisk to them.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2005/01/14/898082-sun.html

> I find this interesting because several people have told me they are
> using Shaw's high speed Internet service as the backbone of their VOIP
> system. (Extreme is supposed to work even better.)

> I wonder if Telus is going to block the SIP ports on their ADSL
network

I'm wondering what the CRTC is planning with respect to VoIP.

Whatever they do, they'll probably miss IAX entirely, so no worries.

> ?  I wonder if Shaw will ?  (Telus presently blocks the SMPT port so
> that you MUST you their mail server.)

> I wonder if shaw or telus people lurk on this site.

If you mean people that work for those companies, then sure (but for the
most part they love it the same as any of us). If you mean
decision-makers, I would say generally no. Asterisk is not yet on
anyone's radar scope, so it won't be considered a threat. That'll happen
when it starts stealing market-share.

Jim.