[Asterisk-Users] Canadian Content: Telus and Shaw...

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Mon Jan 17 16:03:42 MST 2005

Kim Lux wrote:
> That is a good point.  I never thought of doing that.
>
> They could kill SIP connections by subtly delaying any upload traffic
> streams, ie introducing latency or jitter.

LOL!  As our New Zealand Telecom's Provider/Internet Provider has done.
  A little background - in New Zealand we have one company really -
Telecom.  They provide the Internet and the telephone services.  A
couple of weeks ago they added 30ms of latency to all connections and no
one batted an eyelid.

While playing counterstrike on foreign servers (Australia mainly) I
regularly get jitter of 300-400ms (i.e. the game starts at 120ms ping
and at times rises above 500ms).

Here the regulatory power is called the commerce commission.  They were
about to release a finding that Telecom (which was originally state
owned) had to unbundle their lines.  However, about one or two weeks
before the finding was released, they changed their mind.  Much to the
detriment of New Zealand internet...

So, once again, the big boys get to keep their toys, while we can but
beg for quality service...

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell