[Asterisk-Users] Offtopic: improving softphone latency on Linux?

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 17 16:05:02 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 16:51 -0500, Steve Kann wrote:

> What softphone are you using on Linux?
>
> > iaxcomm, linphone and sjphone, and they all give
>
> If you use an iaxclient-based softphone on linux as root, it runs with
> RT priority, and pretty low latency

Hmmm, on my side I can't say it makes much of a difference for iaxcomm.
It does improve sound quality though, since running iaxcomm non root
produces pretty crackling audio, for whatever reasons. Altogether, I
find that sjphone performs best, regarding quality as well as latency,
where Windows/WM still seems to play in a different league.

Thanks, Bruno.