[Asterisk-Users] Re: Media Path Optimization & NAT

Adam Sherman adam at sherman.ca
Mon Jan 17 15:20:26 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:
>>I have a bunch of setups where an Asterisk system with a public IP
>>doubles as a router/gateway/firewall for a set of phones on a private
>>network.
>>
>>We're using external SIP providers.
>>
>>Everything works quite nicely.
>>
>>Now, I would very much like to remove the "canreinvite=no" from the
>>provider's definition on sip.conf, but doing so causes Asterisk to send
>>a re-invite to the provider pointing to a private IP. I thought that
>>correct localnet entries would solve this...
>>
>>Is what I'm after even possible? Am I looking in the wrong place?
>
> By changing to canreinvite=yes, are you expecting the asterisk box to
> act as a router, passing rtp traffic from your sip provider through
> the box to a sip phone with a private address (without passing
> asterisk code in the middle of the rtp session)?

No, sorry. I'm looking for Asterisk to not issue the re-invites if the
two devices can't see each other. Think of mobile users who are often
behind the corporate firewall but also travel. I'm trying to avoid
having the media path be "user->corporate lan->pstn provider". I want it
to be "user->pstn provider".

If not to accomplish this, what are the localnet configuration entries for?

Thanks for your response,

A.