[Asterisk-Users] Call Manager or Asterisk

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Mon Jan 17 12:07:16 MST 2005

We are a CCM4 shop similar to your (dozen offices, central
management), and I play with * to be familiar with the options
available.

Your pros/cons are pretty accurate.  A few points though-

CCM5 will run on a unix-like platform.  SIP support is initital
and for trunking only.  While the web management is not
optimal, it does permit us to allow our helpdesk staff to perform
moves/adds/changes with no fear that they'll screw up the critical
gateway/dialplan configuration.  I suspect that as RealTime
matures this will change.

Good support is relative.  I've found excellent engineers and
less than excellent.  Troubleshooting is a major pain, as is the
fact that the different components of the Cisco platform are on
different development cycles.  To get support for one new feature
might mean upgrading half a dozen unrelated components, then
chasing the bugs through half a dozen different support orginizations.

So it comes down to what you company can afford and the experience
of the staff assigned to support it.  I can manage either, but the
bulk of my coworkers could not manage * and I have much better things
to do with my time to manage day to day phone operations.

Before anyone takes this as an * flame, it is not.  If I had the
development skills, or could convince the powers to be to assign
a couple web developers to me, I'd contribute the changes I think
would help simplify day to day operations.

Dan