[Asterisk-Users] Codec conversion

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Mon Jan 17 11:18:28 MST 2005

Helder Rogério [MICROREDE] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there any way to receive in * server a call from a Terminal adapter in G.723/G.729 and then convert it to G.711?
>
> I'm wondering this because I can only place all thru Broadvoice in G.711 but most of customers have ADSL connection with 128k upstream, so the result is that they can hear in excellent conditions but can't be heard very well the sound is all choppy. even directly to broadvoice thru Xten sip client.
>
> So the idea was to act as "proxy" and "codec converter" so that the communication coming out their router is the smaller it can get. I've mentioned G729 or G.723 becuase their routers have it, (Draytek 2600V).

Asterisk does not support G723.1.  You can purchase G729 licenses from
Digium for $10/channel.  Both codecs are patented.  The G723.1 patent
holders don't want to license their codec to smaller companies like
Digium.  The G729 patent holders were more interested in working with
Digium, so they can sell the G729 codec.

Yes, Asterisk will "transcode" between codecs it supports.