[Asterisk-Users] simple over view of the process

Gyrion, Larry M. LMGyrion at manchester.edu
Mon Jan 17 10:11:55 MST 2005

I purchased a $299 kit from the VOIP Connection
http://www.thevoipconnection.com/store/catalog/product_16215_Asterisk_St
arter_Kit.html

It comes with a install CD, book about Astrerisk, a quad line card, and
a VoIP phone.  Seems like a reasonable price to pay to sample it.  I
will be installing it to a desktop computer and creating four analog
lines to use on the line card.  If all goes well we will then move to
build a Asterisk system to handle 1500 lines (including 650-700 of those
converted back to analog).  The cost of doing this is way less than
bringing in another Nortel , Cisco, or Avaya PBX.  Of course my concern
is to create a redundancy type system.  With Nortel I am use to their
failover system.

Larry Gyrion
Telecommunications Administrator
Manchester College