[Asterisk-Users] simple over view of the process

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 17 09:54:33 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Please forgive the lack of understanding as of yet but I have
> been trying to follow the mailing list messages over the last
> few days and would like to know if someone could wither point
> me into the right direction or possibly give me a brief
> overview of the complete process.

Start here:

www.asteriskdocs.org

Then read this:
http://www.digium.com/handbook-draft.pdf

Ultimately, here is where the most information can be found:
www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

When you've done all that, the Users list and IRC will be a great place
to come and brainstorm.

> Basically, I see that the Asterisk PBX systems can run on
> linux and seems to offer the engine base that is needed for the SIP
> clients to connect.

For pure SIP, you may want to look at SER. Asterisk is not as powerful
on the SIP side of things, but is overall more powerful due to it's
support of all the major voice standards (both legacy and VoIP). It's an
incredible engine, but it comes with a price: there is a lot to learn.
Spend a few hours reading, get a Linux system you can play with,
download it, and take the time to play.

Don't know Linux? You WILL suffer. Learn Linux first (gotta crawl before
. . . )

> Additionally, it seems that the various hardware (of which I
> have no idea) if installed into the server will allow the SIP
> clients to communicate with analog lines.

Asterisk can act as a gateway, yes.

> What inexpensive hardware is need to set up a basic system?

As a learning exercise, Digium's development kit is how many get their
start.